Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mighty Book Lover

Who likes to read? My 10 year old loves to read. I am not a big reader myself but I wanted my kids to be better than me so I started reading to my oldest when she was in my belly. I signed up for the Dr. Seuss collection when I was pregnant and read those books to her. Then when she was born I signed up to the Disney book club and also the Clifford the Big Red Dog collection. I enjoyed reading to her before bedtime or whenever I was bored. As she started talking and walking she started to show interest in reading and would bring me books to have read to her which made me pretty proud. We have boxes of these books boxed away and have even gotten rid of a few through out the years. 


We also got her little fun baby books where you can touch different textures and see different colors for her to learn. Those were more for her to play with and explore on her own. Some got chewed on and torn but that was expected.


As she started school those Dr. Seuss, disney and Clifford books came into more use. She had to read every day or be read to which she enjoyed. As she learned to read more on her own she moved on to chapter books. Junie B. Jones were one of her favorites and still are, even though they are below her reading level now.


Last year she became a fan along with many other kids of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. She can read those over and over and not get tired of them. Her younger sister and brother also enjoy having her read those books to them. She has the whole collection and has been waiting for a new one to be published but so far no luck.


So she moved on to Dork Diaries which is pretty much the girl version of the Diary of a wimpy kid books. Only problem is now she is waiting for the 3rd one to be released. So I did some research and found out a new one is due to be released in JUNE!!! So she has a few months to wait.


So as of last month, she has taken interest in the Harry Potter books. Thanks to my niece being a Harry Potter reader we have borrowed her books and she has started reading them. I'm very proud that she is interested in reading and is reading above average for her age. 


 So far she is setting a great example for her sister and brothers. I hope they fall in her foot steps and become book lovers too!!

1 comment:

  1. I just signed up for the Dr. Seuss collection too! Got 4 books for $4 :)

    ReplyDelete